The NRL's plans to restart on May 28 have been handed a huge boost after Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk gave Brisbane Broncos, North Queensland Cowboys and Gold Coast Titans permission to travel outside the state for matches.
Earlier on Friday, Australia's Prime Minister Scott Morrison said resuming sporting activities would be a matter for state jurisdictions as rollbacks on the coronavirus lockdown are considered.
And, along with clearing Queensland's teams to resume training, Palaszczuk told NRL chairman Peter V'Landys and the chief executives of the Broncos, Cowboys and Titans that they were cleared to cross the state border because they would be working and maintaining quarantine conditions.
“I said I was as keen as anyone else to see the NRL return and I meant it,” Palaszczuk said.
"The only condition was that it did not put our excellent work containing the spread of COVID-19 at risk and the Chief Health Officer advises that the NRL plan is workable.
"First round games will be played in Queensland and of course I put in a bid for a local grand final and we all look forward to hosting the State of Origin."
The status of New Zealand Warriors remains a stumbling block with regards to the May 28 date.
Morrison confirmed no authorisation had been granted for the team to travel to Australia, despite the Warriors having a charter flight booked to fly from Auckland to Tamworth on Sunday.
"That authority has not been provided and no amount of reporting it will change that decision," he told a news conference.
"That will be made on the basis of the border assessments of the Australian Border Force [ABF] and they're working through that application, they've received that application and when they're in a position to authorise it, well, they will and that's how that will follow."
After the Prime Minster addressed the issue, the ABF issued a statement to acknowledge the Warriors' case was in hand.
"The [Warriors] application is still under consideration pending endorsement of national principles from the national cabinet meeting today," it read.
"They'll be treated like any other request and I have no doubt there's no delay, they're just ABF officials doing their job as they do every single day protecting Australia's borders and making wise decisions."