Greg Inglis said he turned down the opportunity to make his State of Origin return for Queensland this year.
Inglis retired from rugby league last year and ended his Origin career with the Maroons in 2018, however, the former Australia and Queensland star signed a one-year with Super League side Warrington Wolves for 2021.
Former Maroons head coach Kevin Walters previously talked up the possibility of an Inglis comeback, though he has since departed for Brisbane Broncos – replaced by legendary boss Wayne Bennett.
But Inglis – who made 32 appearances for Queensland between 2006 and 2018 – closed the door on Origin.
"I've had plenty of chats to Kevie about it [a comeback] throughout the year, but I made my mind up quite a long time ago," the 33-year-old told reporters on Tuesday.
"To be up for the Origin arena it is a lot mentally and physically, and I think it was in the best interests of me to say no and don’t put a burden on anyone else and to give the other players so they can showcase what they have on those big stages."
The 2020 State of Origin series between Queensland and New South Wales gets underway in Adelaide on November 4, before games in Sydney on November 11 and Brisbane on November 18.
New South Wales have won the past two Origin series, after Walters guided Queensland to back-to-back triumphs in 2016 and 2017.