2012 was the year the world was supposed to come to an end. Thankfully, it didn't, and for Johor Darul Ta'zim (JDT) fans, they have another reason to be thankful. After all, their team last tasted a home defeat in the Malaysian Super League back then, when they were still known as Johor FC and playing at the Pasir Gudang Corporation Stadium.
The Southern Tigers (the Bees?) were beaten by LionsXII on April 7th 2012 before kicking off an impressive unbeaten run of league games. For comparison, it is more than twice the second-best home record of 24 games set by Selangor between May 2012 and May 2014.
As the defeat to the Singaporeans was some time ago, you might not remember well what the world looked like when JDT last lost a league match at home. Well, here are some gentle reminders:
1. Pahang were on their way to Super League promotion, while Penang were lingering around mid-table in the FAM League.
2. Brendan Gan was still holding an Australian passport and playing as a foreigner for Sabah.
3. Jamie Vardy was playing in the fifth tier of English football.
4. Tuanku Abdul Halim Muadzam Shah had not been *officially* installed as Malaysia’s 14th Yang di-Pertuan Agong (the installation ceremony was performed a few days after the LionsXII defeat).
5. Fun’s “We Are Young” was #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.
6. Justin Bieber’s “Baby” was still the most viewed video on YouTube (“Gangnam Style” took the crown in November 2012).
7. Curiosity was four months away from landing on Mars.
8. The Avengers had not assembled on screen yet (the movie came out in May 2012).
9. The world was still using the Windows 7 operating system.
10. Lastly, your Facebook profile page looked like this: