When it was launched last year, Ballr accelerated the whole genre of fantasy sport in a way like never before. Those who joined in the fun when it kicked off last season found themselves in a totally new environment, where you did not just lean back and enjoy the game once a match kicked off. You had to watch intently, looking for trends and making decisions EVERY FIVE MINUTES. It was intense. Now, with the return of the football season, Ballr is also back. Are you ready?
If you’re new to the game, here’s a quick rundown. Before you can play, you need to do the following:
1) Make sure you have a good mobile phone device with a strong network connection. As Ballr is a real-time game, it uses live updates for your selections, your score updates and any line-up changes. Those with lagging connections will get left behind.
2) You need to install the Ballr app, available on both Google Play Store
and Apple Store
. Take note that there might be app updates throughout the season, so make sure you always have the latest version of Ballr before you start playing a match.
3) Sign up. Make sure you register properly of course because, after all, there are prizes on the line!
Here’s what happens on a matchday:
1) Choose a match to play. Now, there might be more than one match in any timeslot. Theoretically, you can play in as many matches as you can in one timeslot. However, because you need to actively choose players every five minutes, the more matches you’re involved in, the more you risk missing out on selecting a player for any timeslot, not to mention the possibility of higher lag.
2) Choose which side you want to select players from. You cannot choose both sides in a match.
3) Each match is divided into five-minute slots. This means that for each half of a game (45 minutes), you have to choose nine players (9x5=45). Note: You can’t preselect all nine players in advance and must do it before every five-minute interval. However, an exception is given for the start of each half, you have the option of locking in your first THREE players, instead of just one.
4) When the match kicks off, the first player you chose will start scoring points for the next five minutes. Points are scored not just for your typical stuff like goals, assists and saves, but also the smaller stuff like successful passes, tackles, and even touches. At the same time, the next five minute time slot will be open for selection.
5) You need to select the next player before the last FIFTEEN seconds of every five minute slot. Any extra time of one half will be included as part of the last five-minute slot of each half. Hint: This usually means your last player of the match will have the most game time.
1) You can only choose a certain player once for each half. So, for example, if you’ve already chosen Aguero for the 41st-45th minute timeslot, you can’t choose him again for the rest of the first half.
2) Once you confirm a player for a five-minute slot, you can’t go back and change it, even if the five minutes slot has yet to start.
3) If you run out of time choosing a player for the next five-minute slot, you will lose your chance to score. Watch the app countdown to make sure you don’t get caught out!
That’s it! Scores of all 18 selected players (nine for each half) will be totaled. Top score of each match wins! If you’re eligible for a prize, Ballr will notify you upon completion of a match. You’ll need to leave your contact details so that the organisers can send you your prize.
to see the full breakdown of how the scoring works. Yes, there’s a lot of factors to take into account of, so have a good read to get a clear idea on how to strategise.
As announced by Ballr, the 2017/2018 season will see the Ballr game available for TWELVE
different leagues. Check regularly for updates to see which games will have prizes (I will update you when I can myself). That’s it! Sound like fun? Good! Football season will kick off on Friday, followed by Ballr one day later! Be ready!
Stay tuned for further Ballr updates.