Ahead of the new Premier League season, which kicks off tonight with Arsenal taking on Leicester City (you can catch the match on Astro Go
), here are 10 questions that I feel need to be answered for the sake of ardent fans and, of course, fantasy football players!
1) Will Alexis Sanchez and, to a lesser extent, Mesut Ozil stay in North London? With both players entering their final year of their contracts
, Arsenal will risk losing them for nothing if they do not sell them before the summer transfer window ends.
2) Are Chelsea going to address their squad depth
, or the lack of it, before the end of August? Antonio Conte has reportedly been unhappy with how things have been progressing in the transfer window for his side, and looking at Chelsea’s squad list for the Community Shield match, especially compared to Arsenal’s, it is a clear and worrying sign.
3) Who will start up top for Manchester City: Gabriel Jesus, Sergio Aguero, or both? If nothing else, it’s certainly causing worry for fantasy football players worldwide!
4) Will we see Manchester United return to the free-flow attacking style that they were known for during Sir Alex Ferguson’s time? The introduction of Marouane Fellaini in the UEFA Super Cup defeat to Real Madrid
showed that they might still be more comfortable playing a tighter game. Their fans might not like it, but Jose Mourinho won’t care as long as it guarantees results and trophies.
5) Will Tottenham ever sign anyone before the transfer window closes? In light of Danny Rose’s recent outburst
, it might cause potential highly-rated players to think twice before agreeing to join Spurs.
6) Is Jurgen Klopp just putting up a strong front in the face of two transfer sagas involving Liverpool? With Virgil Van Dijk continuously being linked with his side
and Philippe Coutinho’s rumoured departure to Barcelona
not dying off, the problems could be disruptive to his team’s start to the season.
7) Gylfi Sigurdsson: is he or isn’t he staying at Swansea City? The Everton target is a classic case of the buying team not seeing eye to eye with the selling team in terms of transfer fee. However, the Welsh club surely prefer him to stay because the Iceland midfielder is head and shoulders above the other players at the club. Manager Paul Clement has already stated that Sigurdsson, with his head not in the right place mentally, will not play in their season opener against Southampton, so we will find out how much the Swans will miss his presence on the pitch.
8) Speaking of Everton, will we see a rejuvenated Wayne Rooney back in his hometown? I dare say most of us believe his return is purely a nostalgic move by the player and a delusional move by the club, so it is up to the former Manchester United captain to prove us wrong.
9) Will Newcastle United become a force to be reckoned with again? Having bounced back to top-flight football so soon, Rafa Benitez will be looking to prove a point by beating Tottenham in their opening match before going on a run of favourable matches – Huddersfield Town, Nottingham Forest (League Cup), West Ham United, Swansea City, Stoke City, and Brighton – which could set them up for a nice start to the season.
10) Finally, who will win the title this season? My heart says Liverpool, but my head says Manchester City. What say you?