North Carolina's 2017 national championship men's basketball team will not visit the White House, a team spokesman said on Saturday (via The News & Observer).
Tar Heels team spokesman Steve Kirschner said President Donald Trump's White House did invite the team, as is customary, but the university and the White House couldn't agree on a date.
“We tried about eight or nine dates and between they couldn't work out that date, we couldn't work out that date, so — we would have liked to have gone, but not going,” Kirschner said.
Kirschner added that UNC's players “were fine with going.”
The announcement comes on a weekend when social media was ignited by the president's saying he had rescinded the White House invitation to the NBA champion Golden State Warriors after star Stephen Curry expressed that he would prefer not to visit because of Trump.
Earlier this year, North Carolina coach Roy Williams was critical of the president's social media habits, saying, in part, "Our president tweets out more bulls— than anybody I've ever seen."