HBO, NFL extend 'Hard Knocks' for four more years

By Jordan Heck 3 April 2017
HBO, NFL extend 'Hard Knocks' for four more years

The NFL reality series "Hard Knocks" will continue for four more years, the league and HBO announced Monday.

“HBO is really the perfect home for Hard Knocks, and we couldn’t be happier to continue our partnership with them around this award-winning franchise,” Ross Ketover, NFL Films Senior Executive, said in a statement. “Hard Knocks prides itself on inside access and production excellence, and those are two qualities that both HBO Sports and NFL Films try to focus on in all of our programming.”

"Hard Knocks" has run annually since 2001, with the except of 2011 when no team wanted to volunteer. That's when the league instituted a rule that required that one team get selected.

Teams cannot be selected if:

  • They were in the playoffs in either of the last two seasons.
  • They have a first-year head coach.
  • They have been on the program at any point in the last 10 years.

Most teams don't want to appear on the program because they view it as a distraction. Browns coach Hue Jackson, who has been on as an assistant coach, said earlier in this offseason he didn't want his team on it this year.

“Oh, my God. I’m not interested in that,” Jackson said in February. “I’m interested in just coaching our team and getting our team better.”

No 2017 team has been selected, but eligible teams include the Ravens, Bears, Browns, Titans, Colts, Buccaneers, Saints and Eagles.

About Author

Jordan Heck

Comment